Harry Potter star Rupert Grint joins Guillermo del Toro’s new Netflix series
Guillermo del Toro’s next horror anthology Cabinet of curiosities has already gathered a number of talented performers, the project recently won another with Harry Potter star Rupert Grint, per Deadline. Given the nature of the anthology series, each episode will see a new set of performers under the direction of different filmmakers, the episode in which Grint will not be known at this time. He joins a cast starring Essie Davis, Luke Roberts and Andrew Lincoln of filmmakers such as Panos Cosmatos, Jennifer Kent and Vincenzo Natali. Cabinet of curiosities does not yet have a release date.
Netflix notes that this new series “is intended to challenge our traditional notions of horror. From macabre to magical, from Gothic to grotesque or creepy classic, the Eight Grim Tales – including two original works by del Toro – will be brought to life by a team of writers and directors personally chosen by the Shape of water director.”
This casting comes after del Toro took to social media to share his admiration for Grint’s performance on M. Night Shyamalan’s spooky Apple TV + series Servant.
The actors and filmmakers involved in Cabinet of curiosities are the following:
- Essie Davis (The Babadook), Andrew Lincoln (The walking dead) and Hannah Galway (Gender / Life) stars in an episode written (based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro) and directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook)
- Amadeus Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham (Mythic Quest), Glynn Turman (Ma Rainey’s black stockings) and Luke Roberts (Ransom) will appear in an episode written by David S. Goyer (The black Knight) (based on a short story by Michael Shea), and directed by David Prior (The empty man).
- Tim Blake Nelson (Watchmen), Elpidia Carrillo (Euphoria), Demetrius Grosse (Fear the living dead) and Sébastien Roché (The man of the high castle) stars in an episode written by Regina Corrado (Dead wood; Strain) (based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro); and directed by Guillermo Navarro (godfather of Harlem; Narcos)
- Crispin Glove (Riverside) and Ben Barnes (Shadow and bone) star in an episode written by Lee Patterson (Curve) (based on a short story by HP Lovecraft) and directed by Keith Thomas (Fire starter)
- Peter Weller (Star Trek Into Darkness) stars in an episode directed by Panos Cosmatos (Mandy), who also writes with Aaron Stewart-Ahn
- Mika Watkins (Origin) writes an episode (based on a short story by HP Lovecraft) directed by Catherine Hardwicke (dusk); with casting to be announced
- David Hewlett (See) in an episode written (based on a short story by Henry Kuttner) and directed by Vincenzo Natali (Annibal)
- Haley Z. Boston (New cherry flavor) serves as the screenwriter for an episode (based on a short story by comic book author Emily Carroll) directed by Ana Lily Amirpour (A girl comes home alone at night) with casting to be confirmed.
Stay tuned for more details on Cabinet of curiosities.
Are you delighted that Grint has joined the cast? Let us know in the comments below or contact Patrick Cavanaugh directly on Twitter to talk about Star Wars and horror!